Cam founded The Cam Neely Foundation for Cancer Care in 1995 in memory of his parents, Marlene and Michael, who both lost their battles with cancer. Through this experience Cam understood firsthand the needs of the family to be close to their loved one while they're being treated for cancer. The Neely House was built as a respite for those families and patients. He found many patient needs are simple, like bright hospital rooms, family waiting spaces and cancer research. Cam believes that improving these small things help ease the overwhelming experience of cancer treatment.
Cam became the President of the Boston Bruins in 2010. He oversees all of the club’s hockey and business operations. After being traded to the Bruins in 1986, Cam’s potent blend of offensive talent and punishing presence led him to being one of the most revered players in team history. He ranks 5th on the Bruins all-time goal list and leads the franchise in playoff goals. Cam’s number 8 was retired in 2004 and the following year was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame. As the team’s President, he led the Bruins to a Stanley Cup victory in the 2010-2011 season.
Cam and his wife Paulina have two children, Jack and Ava.
Lisa A. Borges–Interim Executive Director
Lisa A. Borges is CEO and Founder of Anchor Foundation Consulting, LLC, helping foundations fulfill their dreams and achieve long term sustainability. She is currently serving as Interim Executive Director for the Cam Neely Foundation for Cancer Care and consulting for other nonprofit foundations in the Boston area.
Prior to Anchor Foundation Consulting, Lisa served as Executive Director of the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for over eighteen years where she was responsible for the overall leadership and strategic development of the organization. In her role, Lisa successfully raised over $25 million dollars to support individuals with autism, launched a social enterprise to employ adults with autism, managed multiple grant programs and led the Foundation through several strategic plans and a rebranding process.
Lisa serves on the board of several nonprofits in a leadership capacity and has been a guest speaker or presenter for multiple conferences, workshops and college level courses. Lisa earned a JD from New England School of Law and a Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management from Clark University. Lisa also founded the Celebrity & Athlete Foundation Forum in Boston to build a network and share best practices in this specialized charitable community.
Danielle LaVoie–Director of Neely House and Cancer Fund Initiatives/Director of Operations and Events
Danielle has been with the Foundation for over a decade, having started in early 2007, and is very connected to its mission and goals. In her role as Director of Operations and Events she led the Foundation's staff in growing their signature events and raising funds to support The Neely House and The Neely Cancer Fund. After many years overseeing the Foundation, Danielle is taking on a newly created position, the Director of Neely House and Cancer Fund Initiatives, and will oversee both positions until new staff is fully trained in her previous role. In her new position she will build opportunities at the House and grow the relationship that we have with the doctors and staff in the 8 cancer center spaces that were built by the Foundation since 1995 as well as working as a liaison between Tufts Medical Center and the Foundation. She is very passionate about working with the cancer patients and families that come through our spaces and nurturing relationships with our colleagues at the hospital.
Danielle serves on the advisory board of Endicott College's Masters in Athletic Administration. She has been a guest speaker since joining the board and will continue to support the growth of future nonprofit leaders.
Prior to her role with the Foundation, Danielle worked with Cam at Cornerstone Bankcard managing the office and as his assistant. Her experience with events was highlighted as the Director of Events at a company located in Boston and her experience in finance began her career with ten years in investment banking where she worked in different capacities of mutual fund management.
Jamie Donovan–Development Coordinator
Born and raised in Massachusetts, Jamie decided to trade the snow for the sand, and received her Bachelor of Science in Marketing and Management at Coastal Carolina University. After completing her degree, she decided to move back to Boston to be with friends and family, and begin her career in healthcare philanthropy.
Jamie joined the Neely team in November of 2017, as the development coordinator. Prior to this role, she spent two years working as a part of the donor relations team at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
In her time outside of the office, Jamie enjoys spending time down the Cape with friends, family and her dog, Murphy.
Amanda Francis–Neely House Guest Services Coordinator
Amanda started with the Foundation in April 2017 as the Guest Services Coordinator for the Neely House at Tufts Medical Center. Amanda is studying for her Bachelor’s in hospitality management and has worked at many luxury resort properties up and down the East Coast. Born and raised in Massachusetts, she is passionate about helping others from surrounding communities during time their time of need.
JoAnn Holloway–Neely House Guest Services Representative
JoAnn joined the Foundation in April 2017 as a Guest Service Rep of The Neely House at Tufts Medical Center. Previously she had worked at Boston Children's Hospital for 6 years as a clinical research coordinator. JoAnn is a graduate of Mt. Olive College, North Carolina, in Healthcare Management and from Laboure College in Boston in Health Information Technology.
Francisca Rodriguez–In-house Housekeeper
Francisca started working at The Neely House as our in-house housekeeper in 1998. In her nearly 20 years working at the House, Francisca has kept it sparkling like the day it opened; proving through hard work, dedication and love just how important the House is to her. The guests of the House have come to know Francisca and see her as a friend and someone they can lean on for an ear or for any of their needs while they stay with us. Francisca lives in the Boston area with her husband and son.
Guest Services Representatives
Lisa Dawson Leavy
Development and Events Manager
Responsible for planning and executing all fundraising events as well as creating new development strategies and communications that are consistent with the Foundation’s mission. Will participate in establishing a plan to strengthen and enhance the organization’s ability to raise additional revenues from donors and sponsors.
Reports To: Executive Director, The Cam Neely Foundation for Cancer Care
- Manage all fundraising events for the Foundation including but not limited to coordinating the annual Cam Neely Invitational, Comics Come Home, Fall Fashion Show and other special events.
- Coordinate vendor and sponsor relationships including individual and corporate sponsors. Secure new sponsors as well as in-kind products and services.
- Manage all aspects of volunteer committees and volunteer coordination, including but not limited to staffing, recruitment, supervision, training and acknowledgement.
- Work with PR partner to facilitate media partnerships with TV, radio and newspaper including advertising and promotions.
- Participate in and/or lead event-related meetings. Develop and deliver presentations as required, and provide input and suggestions.
- Assist with the management of the auctions at each event and securing auction items.
- Create promotional materials designed to enhance fundraising efforts, build relationships with donors and increase visibility.
- Adhere to a budget, and organize any materials needed for events. Ensure that the logistics and budget/timelines are met for each applicable event.
- Support Development Coordinator in maintaining accurate databases and completing financial records for each event.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board to create a shared vision of fundraising goals and identify donor prospects.
- Identify new individual and corporate prospects as well as opportunities for national and local partnerships with corporations and other potential supporters.
- Work with colleagues including Director of The Neely House and Cancer Fund Initiatives to coordinate prospect outreach as well as donor and sponsorship opportunities.
- Research and prepare compelling grant proposals and budgets that align with the Foundation’s mission.
- Participate in creating marketing materials designed to simultaneously drive the Foundation’s mission while providing unique opportunities for corporate sponsors and individual donors.
- Support Development Coordinator in maintaining and expanding the Foundation’s current donor base.
- Represent the Foundation at networking and local charitable events.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 5 + years of Special Events Management experience
- Independent and resourceful worker; able to take initiative, follow up and check accuracy
- Able to communicate effectively in person, on the phone and by email
- Organized work style; able to set and meet deadlines and plan ahead
- Detailed oriented with excellent multi-tasking skills
- Experience working with Abila/Sage or similar database preferred
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends for fundraising/awareness events
Marketing and Development Intern
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director and the Development Coordinator, this unpaid internship position will support the general operational and fundraising activities of The Cam Neely Foundation for Cancer Care. Duties are diverse and will be tailored to meet departmental needs. This internship is perfect for someone considering a non-profit career.
Marketing & Development
- Assist the Development Coordinator with social media projects including developing new ideas to engage followers and maintain sites
- Conduct donor and sponsor research and outreach
- Research current and trending stories on cancer care and integrative health
- Develop and manage College Ambassador Program for Comics Come Home
- Assist with securing donations for auctions and raffles and follow up with donors
- Provide general support to Director and Coordinator for major events
General Administrative Duties
- Enter donations into Abila Fundraising 50 and prepare thank you letters
- Assist with administrative and clerical work assigned by management
- Answer phones and process incoming mail
- Order and organize supplies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have good organizational skills to keep on top of tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Detail oriented and able to prioritize.
- Must understand importance of confidentiality for all donor and sponsor contact information.
- Excellent communication skills and a commitment to work in a team environment; must be able to interact with the public in a professional manner.
- Flexibility to shift attention on a moment’s notice to a new request and gain clarity about its priority in relationship to the entire workload.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
The internship is unpaid and therefore students are required to receive college credit for the internship.
To apply, email Jamie Donovan at email@example.com with your resume and cover letter.